Sunday, January 31, 2016

Storytelling Week 3: What Did You Learn?



What Did You Learn?
            Here we are with a couple of interesting, but knowledgeable figures, in which we are going to be asking them a few questions about certain situations that they went through to see what they learned from that situation, and see what guidance or wisdom they would be willing to give to all of us because we all know that each one of us can always learn from other’s mistakes, so we do not make the same mistakes that they did.

Our first guest of the day will be the Billy Goat Kid:
Reporter: “What is it that made you wonder away from you flock, whom you had been traveling with?”
Billy Goat Kid: “I just got too distracted with my surroundings instead of staying with the ones I knew I had protection with.”
Reporter: “How did you come up with the idea of seeing if the wolf would let you dance and sing before the wolf ate you?”
Billy Goat Kid: “It was the only idea I had in my arsenal to save me from being dinner, I guess you could say I got really, really lucky. Plus, I knew if I could sing the song that Wolf’s do that maybe, just maybe my flock would hear me and be able to come back for me.”
Reporter: “So what was the most important thing you learned from this situation?”
Billy Goat Kid: “I would have the say the most important thing I learned was, Do not let anything turn you from your purpose.”” (Winter)

For our next guest, we have The Ducks from The Tortoise and The Ducks:
Reporter: “I know this might be a touchy subject for you two to speak about regarding what happened during this situation, but if you could elaborate on what happen, it would greatly benefit the rest of us.”
The Ducks: “QUACK, QUACK, QUACK!”
Reporter: “Uhmmm… English, please.”
The Ducks: “Oh sorry, we’ve been having lots of problems since this happening. Let us take a deep breath and gather our thoughts.”
(Takes deep quacks)
The Ducks: “Okay, here we go, there was this tortoise, who was extremely disappointed in the fact that he could not move about the countryside and see more of nature. We intervened and gave him an option to carry a stick in his mouth as we flew up into the sky to let him see what he wanted to see. We warned him that if he opened his mouth it would be the end of his life, so he bit a stick and we lifted him up in the sky. He was beyond astonished, which was his downfall, as soon as he saw the country, he opened his mouth to say how beautiful it looked, but that is when he let go of the stick and fell to his death…”
Reporter: “Wow… I am sorry that you all had to bear witness to that. What is the most important thing you pulled away from such a tragic event?”
The Ducks: “The most important thing that we learned from this is that just because you are upset and disappointed in the spot you are, it doesn’t mean you should try and go all out to seek something that isn’t meant to be.”
Author’s Note:
I decided to use the storytelling style of an interview because I thought it provided the greatest format to talk about the stories in such a way that allows the reader to pull some advice from the stories of Aesop for Children (Winter), both the Billy Goat and the Wolf, plus the Tortoise and the Ducks. These stories allowed me to ask question regarding each situation and talk about what happened and what they learned from it, but also what we can learn from these short stories.

Bibliography:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cody! I really liked how you use the interview style to tell these stories! I haven't read any like this, so I thought it was a cool new idea. My suggestion for the web programming is to somehow add more separation between the reporter's talking and the interviewee. Maybe bolding "reporter" to have more distinction between who's talking when? As for the story, I really like how you used the morals from the story to tie up the interview. I thought this was a really clever way to directly incorporate them! I think something that would make the story easier to understand would be to add more background and give some context. Then, the questions wouldn't seem so random!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cody! Wow, I really liked that you used a reporting style to tell your story. I plan on using this style for my Storybook project so this gave me a few ideas! I wonder what would have happened had the animals just told their stories instead of the reporter asking them questions? What would have happened had the reporter not apologized to the ducks? Overall, great story though! I would also recommend placing the image at the end of your blog post, that way your reader will have more to reflect on after they read your story. As far as your website, it is very easy to navigate. However, I would suggest using a different background color than two shades of grey so it is more appealing to the eye. I look forward to visiting your website again and reading more of your work for this class this semester!

    ReplyDelete