Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Week 2 Storytelling: Overcoming The Odds



 Overcoming The Odds


            Manchester, England is a land full of soccer history and two of the greatest soccer clubs in the world. This is a city with two of the most passionate fan bases of the soccer world, with a wide variety of fans from young children to the elderly. The elderly, who have lived through times of many championships, league titles and domestic titles from Europa League and Champions League ties. The young children were born into a culture of soccer glory and riches. Everyone in this city is encouraged to play soccer from the time they can walk and try to achieve what very few have in suiting up in either the red of Manchester United or the baby blue of Manchester City. There was one teenage boy, who had a dream to become a Red Devil of Manchester United.
            Tony Wilkinson was the name of this 16-year-old boy with such a large dream. He had grown up in a household full of Manchester United supporters, in which his room was full of Manchester United apparel. He had posters and pictures of all of the United legends, ranging from Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes to Sir Bobby Charlton and George Best. He had been playing soccer ever since he can remember. His father played in the English Championship League, the second tier of English pro soccer. Tony had always been around the game and grew to love it with great passion. He practiced each and every day on every aspect of the game of the soccer, which included dribbling, shooting, passing and conditioning. His skills were above average. His only short coming was that he was the smallest player, but no player had a bigger heart on the pitch than him.
            Manchester Health Academy is the high school where Tony played soccer. He was a starter on the Junior Varsity squad his freshman year, where his skills were far more developed than the other players at the JV level. Before the season, the coaches brought Tony into their office and told him that he would be on the Varsity squad for the upcoming season, but would come off the bench as a substitute. Although the coaches did not mention it to him, he knew the reason he was not in the Starting XI was the fact that he did not have the ideal size for a player at his position, Striker. His physical frame of 5’9” and 165 pounds was not great size for that position as the top Strikers in the world, such as Karim Benzema (6’2” and 183 lbs.) and Thomas Muller (6’1” and 163 lbs.). This is what was making the coaches hold him on the bench when he knew he had the skills to start over the regular starter. The year passed by with Tony making minimal appearances, but he also made the most of his time on the pitch by creating chances on goal time after time hoping the coaches saw the skill and determination over his physique.
            Tony went on to experience the same pains during his junior season, where he came into matches and made major impacts on the outcome of each of them. There was not much that he could do else to convince the coaches to start him. The only thing he knew to do was work harder and get better. He spent his whole summer perfecting his skills in all aspects of the sport to be the most complete player he could be. One day during the summer while training by himself at his high school, a man walked up to the fence and stood there to watch him train. Tony shook off the distraction, and continued to train. Once he was done and leaving, the man who had been watching him started walking towards him, but Tony could not detect who the man was because of the hat the man was wearing, covering his face. The man walked Tony's way, and raised his hat to reveal himself. The man who had been watching Tony train was one of Tony’s soccer idols in former Red Devil and current Manager of Manchester United, Ryan Giggs. Mr. Giggs offered him a chance to come in and join Manchester United’s Academy squad. Tony immediately accepted his offer.

After all of the hard times he had gone through during his three years of high school soccer, where he became discouraged more and more each match he did not start, but he kept on working. All of time he spent putting in countless hours training and developing his skills, finally paid off as he was on his way to suiting up in the red of Manchester United and leaving his legacy throughout English soccer history.




Author's Note:
       

My storytelling style was telling a story using the character of Saint Kentigern and by using his story I could build my story of Tony, in which each character shared the same struggles and achievement. Kentigern was the character I based my main character off of because he was the smallest child and was picked on since he was the smartest and the other kids were jealous. The kids were jealous due to the fact that Kentigern was the teacher’s favorite student, and they wanted the treatment he got. The other kids in this story decided to frame Kentigern into being the catalyst of the teacher’s pet robin death. The teacher thought that Kentigern actually killed the robin, but Kentigern was able to express faith and was granted the power to bring the robin back to life. In my story, Tony was the smallest player and the coaches thought of him as lesser because of his size. He continued to fight against the odds of the coaches and kept faith in his skills to achieve his goal of playing for Manchester United. It eventually paid off when one of his idols, Ryan Giggs, saw his work and offered him a spot on the Manchester United squad. My goal was to draw the readers in by connecting to the character as each of us can relate to in which he try as hard as possible to achieve something, but keep coming up short, then one time we finally get a breakthrough. I also wanted to inform the reader with some knowledge of soccer. As I build my Portfolio, I wanted to build it with stories that we can all take something from and apply to our everyday lives.


Bibliography:
        Saint Kentigern and the Robin, Abbie Farwall Brown

14 comments:

  1. Cody, I really enjoyed reading your story for week 2! I liked this story because I enjoy reading about sports and the glory/struggles that come along with them. I thought that your story had a great overall message to its readers. I also liked that it was very positive and easy to connect to. I am excited to read more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cody, great story! I really liked that you wrote a story about someone who had the goals and ambitions of playing professionally. I also like how you made your character not give up on his goals of playing professionally. That is great! It was also so satisfying to read at the end that he reached his dream of playing for Manchester United. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all of the information about soccer! Although I played soccer in high school, I never really got into pro soccer, there's so just much to learn! Your story was really creative and had an awesome message. Everyone loves sports movies, so I think it's time to make sports stories go mainstream as well! I love when a character can meet his goals with hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story! I thought it was written in great detail. The story caught my attention immediately because of the Manchester United logo at the top, who I used to watch a ton when I was younger and still do occasionally. They were one of my favorite teams growing up. I myself played sports in high school and know the challenges that come with them on a daily basis. I loved the format of the story and how you described the early struggles and not only his positives but his negatives. I think thats what made the story so good was that he battled through the negatives and never gave up. I also thought it was a really creative and inspirational story and I always enjoy inspirational stories, especially when they are about sports players who get to prove all of their doubters wrong! Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this was a great story, especially coming from a soccer fan! I think you did a great job by adding in details of particular players, such as height. I also think you built up a great character for Tony. It really does take a lot of hard work and repetition to become a great player in all fields. Hard work will always pay off in the end, even if they coaches have beef against you. I wonder what Tony's coaches would say when they found out about his offer. I wonder if they would make him a starter then? It would be interesting to find out if you were to add to the story. Overall, I enjoy your story nice work!
    -Ashlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your passion showed through the story. It was very obvious that you love soccer and know so much about it! I felt like I was getting to know you through the writing! I also liked the message of perseverance and never giving up. The only suggestion I have is to somehow break the story up! It feels a little overwhelming just looking at a thread of so much writing! Overall, really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Cody! I think your story was really awesome. I have never read the story of Saint Kentigern before so I was not sure what to except when I began to read your take on the original. After reading your story it made me want to read the original and find out a little bit more about your character. The story that you told had such an important story and it was really motivating to read. It is so crucial that everyone follow their dreams because I believe that everyone has something that they should strive for and work towards. I like that your story taught a lesson. Overall, you had a really good story that your fun to read. I also thing you had a really great writing. I am looking forward to reading more of your stories in the future. Good luck with the rest of the stories in your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cody,

    Great story about Tony and him finally getting to play for Manchester United. I am a huge soccer fan so I am glad to read about a young boy working hard to finally make it in the pros. My favorite team is Everton though! The paragraphs were broken up perfectly because it allowed for me to understand his early struggles with being small. Maybe having a little more dialogue would allow for the reader to connect with Tony a little more. Overall, it was a great motivational story that was an easy read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cody,

    Your story was fantastic. I can tell that you put in a lot of effort in completing the story, and it produced much imagery with the descriptions you provided. The story sounded very autobiographical. I felt like I was reading the life and struggles of Tony, and hoping that one day someone would notice his talent. I am glad that the story ended in my favor.

    This story was a lesson for me. I don’t follow soccer at all, so I often caught myself Googling things like Manchester United F.C. and the players that you mentioned throughout. I learned a lot. You did an excellent job and this is by far one of the best stories that I have read this semester. I plan to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cody,

    You have the privilege of being in the first of the Myth-Folklore comment groups, so I'm sure you are getting a lot of comments from Indian Epics students like me.

    All of your stories seemed to focus on very similar themes so I chose this one to comment on. I'm not a soccer fan by any means, by I enjoyed your story none the less. It was a great "rags to riches" tale, I was very happy when Tony finally made it to the pros.

    The only thing I would suggest would be to add pictures of soccer players. I think it would make your story that much more engaging for the reader.

    I'm very motivated after reading this, so I'd say you were successful. Thanks so much for sharing your work so far, I really enjoyed reading it. Good luck with the rest of this class and the remaining semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cody, what an inspiring story! I love that his hard-work and determination paid off in the end. A lot of times people do not get the recognition they deserve and it is refreshing to see the hard-work pay off in this story. I also love how you gave the story a popular and modern background. Even if you are not a fan of soccer you probably have still heard of Manchester United. I love how you incorporated it into the story and made it relatable to probably everyone reading it. Being able to relate to a story makes it easier for the reader to stay interested throughout. So great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a great story Cody! I love the detail you put into this story, it made it very interesting. I like reading sport stories so this was a really fun read for me. I also like underdog stories and liked that Tony keeps on trying his best and never gives up just because of his size. I also really liked that all his hard work pays off in the end and he gets to live out his dream to be a professional player. The only suggestion I have is to maybe break up your paragraphs a little bit so it is easier to read and breaks up each though. Also possibly adding some dialog, maybe between Tony and his coaches or team mates. But overall this story was very well written and has a well thought out train of thought form the beginning of the story to the end. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cody! Wow, I loved this story! I love that it is sports related and revolves around soccer, and I also thought you did an awesome job of modeling it off of the original story! I feel like a lot of people will be able to relate to Tony in this story. The message is so awesome and so important. People should always work hard and never give up, despite any challenges and obstacles that they may face. All of Tony’s handwork paid off and I am so glad he was able to achieve his dream! Your author’s note explained the reasoning for everything in your story really well and I was able to easily follow all of the soccer terms even though I do not know anything about the sport! I think it is great that you want your readers to learn something from your portfolio stories and apply it to their daily lives. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cody,

    I am from the Indian Epics class but thought I should make my way over to this class to see some of ya’ll’s stories!! I have to say, I read the word soccer in the description for this story and I was sold. I LOVE soccer so I knew this was one of the stories I had to read! While reading your story, I was drawn into the plot very quickly. I absolutely love the line “that he was the smallest player, but no player had a bigger heart on the pitch than him.” As I continued reading through the story, I kept rooting for Tony to do well, even though he wasn’t being granted the chance to start. But, of course he stayed with it and worked harder. I’m sooo glad the story ended on a happy note. Even though this story was made up, I am so happy for Tony and his hard work is finally being rewarded!

    ReplyDelete